(CNN)As Jemel Roberson laid motionless in the parking lot of a suburban Chicago bar, patrons stood feet away wailing and yelling at a group of law enforcement officers.
A Virginia State Police Trooper died after a shooting broke out during an attempt to serve a search warrant in the town of Farmville late Monday.
Lucas Dowell has been identified in reports as the trooper who was shot during the raid and later died in the hospital. The suspect died on the scene.
State police said the authorities were executing a search warrant at a home when the shooting broke out. The raid was performed by the Piedmont Regional Drug and Gang Task Force and supported by a Tactical Team, an equivalent of a SWAT Team.
“The Tactical Team had made entry into the residence shortly before 10 p.m. Monday when an adult male inside the residence began shooting at them,” Virginia State Police said in a news release. “The Tactical Team members returned fire.”
Dowell’s colleagues praised him for his sacrifice and courage he dedicated during his years in the force.
“This is an extremely difficult day for the State Police,” said Colonel Gary T. Settle, Virginia State Police Superintendent, according to WWBT.
“We are humbled by Lucas’ selfless sacrifice and grateful for his dedicated service to the Commonwealth. He will forever be remembered by his State Police Family for his great strength of character, tenacity, valor, loyalty and sense of humor,” he added.
The suspect, who was the only person in the house, also died. His identity hasn’t yet been released.
No other troopers were injured in the shooting, police said. Due to Virginia State Police policy, the two troopers who fired their weapons “have been placed on administrative leave.”
An investigation into the incident is underway.
A search was underway Friday for an Atlanta-area businessman accused of swindling NFL fans out of more than $ 750,000 in Super Bowl ticket orders. The alleged victims reportedly include his own mother, whom authorities say gave him money but never received tickets to Sunday’s big game between the L.A. Rams and New England Patriots.
Ketan Shah, of Lawrenceville, Ga., allegedly scammed at least five victims in Gwinnett County, then vanished with the money and without delivering the tickets, Fox 5 Atlanta reported.
Shah’s mother told police her son left with $ 36,000 she gave him for Super Bowl tickets, Cpl. Wilbert Rundles, a spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department, told the station.
“The money totals well over three-quarters of a million dollars,” Rundles told FOX 5. “It is pretty surprising when you would take advantage of a friend or family members, but your own mother? It’s quite troubling.”
Another victim, Neel Shah, unrelated to Ketan Shah, told the station that he was a friend.
“I never got the tickets I wired him $ 20,000. It was $ 5,000 per ticket,” Neel said.
Ketan Shah was a board member of the Georgia Indo-American Chamber of Commerce, which said on its website that he had been suspended, the report said.
Another victim, John Brunetti, told Atlanta’s WXIA-TV that he met Ketan Shah through his brother-in-law and that the ticket deal seemed like a “sure thing.”
“I even had him sign a contract that if he didn’t give me the tickets, he would give me the face value of the tickets so I could at least pay for those on the day of the game,” Brunetti said. “He was like, ‘Yeah, no problem.’”
But more than a month later, Brunetti is “out $ 50,000,” he said.
Brunetti said Shah’s wife told him her husband went missing weeks ago.
“I just didn’t account for maybe this guy will leave his job, leave his wife, leave his 12-year-old son, his daughter who’s at UGA [University of Georgia] and just skip town,” Brunetti said. “I never in a million years played that into a possible scenario.”
“I just didn’t account for maybe this guy will leave his job, leave his wife, leave his 12-year-old son, his daughter … and just skip town. I never in a million years played that into a possible scenario.”
Ketan Shah reportedly owns a Digital Xpress printing business in Norcross, where his wife Bhavi Shah told Atlanta’s WSB-TV that she does not know where her husband is.
“He’s been roaming all over the town,” she said. “I really don’t know where he is now. I really don’t, I’m sorry.”
Rundles told FOX 5 that Ketan Shah hasn’t yet been criminally charged because the Super Bowl has not been played yet, but after the game, he faces numerous charges of theft by deception.
The parents of an Oregon teen, whose suspected killer is believed to have escaped to Saudi Arabia with the help of the government, are still struggling with their daughter’s death, almost three years after the tragic hit-and-run.
Speaking with The Oregonian, Fawn Lengvenis and Seth Smart said Thursday that the senseless killing of their 15-year-old daughter Fallon Smart seems like the “plot of an intrigue novel.”
“It’s hard to believe that it’s part of your reality,” Fawn, the young girl’s mother, said, in their first interview since her death.
Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah was arrested in August 2016 and indicted for first-degree manslaughter, hit-and-run, reckless endangerment and reckless driving after allegedly killing Fallon in Portland.
In September of that year, Noorah’s $ 100,000 bond was posted by the consulate of Saudi Arabia, according to court records, and in early June 2017, he removed his monitoring device and vanished.
His whereabouts were thought to be unknown, until U.S. officials learned from the Saudi government he had returned to the kingdom.
“The imagination runs wild,” Fallon’s father, Seth, told The Oregonian. “Is he just leading his normal life somewhere? Does he even think about it? Does he even care?”
He told the paper he’s not optimistic that Noorah will ever see justice.
Federal officials believe Noorah was given a passport with a different identity to help him get out of the U.S.
Fox News’ Ryan Gaydos contributed to this report.
A Florida man wanted for a robbery spree that spanned three locations over 30 minutes had a moment of panic when a gas station clerk put him in a chokehold after demanding money.
The man, described to be a white male in his 60s, hit three Port Richey businesses on Tuesday afternoon demanding an undisclosed amount of money, Pasco County deputies told Fox 13.
The first was a Regions Bank drive-through window from which he drove away empty handed.
His second stop was a Sunoco Food Mart – it was here that he met some resistance.
“Fella walked up to me, walked straight up to the counter, looked me straight in the face and said, ‘I’ve got a gun, give me your money,’” store clerk Rob Ray told Fox 13. “At first I was a little taken aback, and I asked, ‘What did you say to me?’ and he said, ‘I got a gun, give me your money.’”
Surveillance cameras then caught Ray coming around the country and putting the suspect on a chokehold before dragging him out the store.
“Somebody comes in, wants to rob a store, they’re not thinking straight in the first place, so you woulda thought after he got dumped on his head in my parking lot that he would have given up on robbing other people, but clearly he didn’t,” Ray added.
The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said the suspect did not stop there. He quickly drove to a nearby dry cleaner and again demanded money from the owner.
The woman ran to the next door barbershop for help.
Russ Disi, the barbershop’s owner, told Fox 13 he confronted the suspect and even grabbed him, but backed away when the suspect told him he was armed.
“I didn’t know how much money he took from her but I’m thinking whatever it was it’s not worth getting shot over,” he said.
Police said the crime spree only lasted about 30 minutes. The suspect, who is still on the run, is described as wearing a black ball cap and a black jacket with white stripes on the sleeves. He was driving a black, four-door Volkswagen Jetta.
The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office revealed in a Facebook post this Monday that detectives were planning to arrest 85-year-old Duke Pierson in Covington County, Alabama in connection to the murder of Dorothy Fielding in 1967.
Fielding, who was 31 at the time, was reported missing on August 19, 1967. Her decomposed body was discovered eight months later in a shallow grave near the area of the 7-Mile Off Road Vehicle Park in Spokane.
“The case had remained unsolved since that time,” the sheriff’s office said.
Two other deaths in the area around the same time caught the attention of police, who believed they might have been connected.
One was the case 47-year-old Ruby Lampson, who was reported missing on June 6, 1967. In 1971, Lampson’s “badly decomposed body” was discovered in a shallow grave near the 7-Mile ORV Park, not far from the location where Fielding’s remains were discovered, according to the sheriff’s office.
The second was the reported suicide of 33-year-old Sandra Pierson, Duke Pierson’s wife at the time. Pierson’s body was found in a vehicle in the family garage on Sept. 12, 1967, and there was a hose leading from the exhaust to a rear window. Tinfoil was found stuffed in the exhaust pipe of the vehicle with the garage door closed, but detectives discovered something strange.
“They noted the garage contained a lot of exhaust but found the engine of the vehicle was not running although the ignition was on and the gas tank was approximately 1/2 full,” the sheriff’s office said. “Detectives were unable to determine a reason why the engine was not running.”
Sandra Pierson, who was 20-weeks pregnant at the time, died one month after Fielding’s disappearance and 3-months after Lampson’s disappearance.
“Due to Sandra’s small stature, several people including Sandra’s now adult children believe Sandra wasn’t physically capable of opening and closing the heavy, possibly malfunctioning, garage door on her own,” police said. “Both children suspect Duke was involved in their mother’s death.”
After years of new no leads, officials reopened the case in April 2018 after the Major Crimes Unit received a call from someone who mentioned that Fielding was a member of the Falls View Tavern Bowling Team, which caught the attention of a Detective Kirk Keyser. Keyser later discovered that both Fielding and Lampson had gone to the tavern, and were friends.
When reviewing the Fielding investigation, he also found reports to indicate that she was having an affair with Duke Pierson before being reported missing, according to police.
“With these similarities, Detective Keyser began reviewing all three cold cases and worked to obtain additional information,” police said. “This led to Friday’s arrest warrant for Pierson charging him with the murder of Fielding.”
But that’s when authorities discovered that Pierson died on Jan. 22, reportedly due to natural causes, according to the sheriff’s department.
Pierson had worked for the sheriff’s office from 1959 before quitting in 1966. Former co-workers said he suddenly stopped showing up for work and his “his attitude and demeanor changed significantly.”
“When coworkers contacted Duke to determine why he wasn’t coming to work, Duke threatened them, saying he would shoot/kill them, for no apparent reason,” police said. “Duke was described as clearly being mentally unstable.”
Keyser had gone to Pierson’s home in Alabama in April 2018 and interviewed him, where he denied knowing Lampson or Fielding.
“Pierson admitted to dating thousands of women, and if he had dated Fielding, the relationship lasted no more than a week,” police said.
The sheriff’s office is asking anyone who may have any information about Duke or Sandra Pierson, Dorothy Fielding or Ruby Lampson to call Detective Keyser at 509-477-6611.
(CNN)Federal prosecutors have filed new hate crime charges against the man accused of killing 11 worshippers at a Pittsburgh synagogue last year.
The Weslaco Police Department said in a Facebook post the incident unfolded after officers received a report of a man who was asleep behind the wheel of a pickup truck that had the engine still running.
When officers confronted the man — identified by police as 28-year-old Adan Loa — he refused to turn off the truck and fled the scene.
“In his attempt to flee he struck a patrol unit and also injured a Weslaco Police Department Officer,” police said.
The officer who was struck by Loa was not seriously injured, according to Weslaco Chief Joel Rivera
“That officer did sustain bruising to his person and he’s been cleared and he’s back on the job as of today,” Rivera told CBS4 on Monday.
Loa has active warrants for burglary of a habitation, assault family violence and evading arrest, officials said.
Authorities are asking anyone with information on Loa’s whereabouts to contact Weslaco Crime Stoppers at 956-968-8477.
A manhunt is underway in Louisiana, where authorities on Saturday sought a 21-year-old man following the deaths of five people in what are thought to have been connected shootings.
Deputies with the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office arrived at one of the scenes Saturday morning after a report of two people who “had been shot in their trailer,” Sheriff Bobby Webre said during a news conference.
Both of the wounded individuals were still alive when law enforcement got there and one was able to give authorities some information before they were transported to a hospital and died, Webre said.
The sheriff identified the deceased as Elizabeth and Keith Theriot and said their son, Dakota, was the “prime suspect in this case.”
“This is probably I would say one of the worst domestic violence incidents I’ve seen in quite a while,” Weber said.
The sheriff’s office has a warrant out for the suspect’s arrest for two counts of first-degree murder, Webre said.
The sheriff also spoke to officials at the Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office, who were working on a potentially connected triple homicide.
“After speaking with their detectives for quite a while, we come to realize that these two cases indeed may be related; we feel that they are related,” Weber said.
The Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office identified the three other victims on Facebook as Billy, Tanner and Summer Ernest.
“We do not believe the suspect to be in Livingston Parish at this time,” the post said, quoting Sheriff Jason Ard. “We are working in conjunction with the Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office, as we believe our case is connected to a homicide investigation in that parish. Our investigation is ongoing.”
The suspect, who authorities consider “armed and dangerous,” is believed to be driving a 2004 Dodge Ram pickup truck that is gray on top and silver on the bottom.
“We have reason to believe that that truck may be traveling east of this direction towards Mississippi,” the sheriff said.
Weber cautioned the public: If you see the vehicle, notify the authorities and do not approach it.
A Wisconsin prosecutor said Friday that he has no plans “in the immediate future” to file additional charges against the man accused of kidnapping Wisconsin teenager Jayme Closs and killing her parents.
The suspect, Jake Patterson, 21, has already been charged with kidnapping and homicide in an attack at the Closs family home in Barron County. Patterson is accused of fatally shooting the parents, then taking the 13-year-old girl to his cabin in Gordon, a township of 645 people in thickly forested Douglas County, according to a criminal complaint.
Douglas County District Attorney Mark Fruehauf said in a statement that he considered several factors in making his decision, including “the existence of other charges and victim-related concerns.”
But Fruehauf noted he retains the authority to file charges later if he chooses.
Authorities say Jayme was held for 88 days in the cabin before escaping Jan. 11 and receiving help from nearby residents who called police.
Patterson was arrested soon afterward. Authorities say he had left the cabin temporarily and was arrested while apparently trying to track down the girl after she escaped.
Fruehauf’s announcement is significant because it could mean that details of any abuse Jayme may have suffered while in captivity may be kept private.
The 12-page criminal complaint said Patterson told investigators he saw Jayme getting on a school bus near her home and decided to abduct her.
The complaint said Patterson went to the Closs home Oct. 15 with the intent to abduct Jayme and with plans to kill if necessary.
He allegedly told authorities he shot Jayme’s father, James Closs, through the front door, then went inside and found Jayme and her mother. He shot Denise Closs, then dragged Jayme to a car, the complaint said.